Easter musical: Scenic Hills and Raleigh United Methodist Church choirs will combine to present the Easter musical, “More Than Just a Man” on April 1 at their respective 9:30 and 11 a.m. services. For information, call 386-9320.
Holy Week at First United Methodist Church, 204 North Second Street:
- First United Methodist Church, joins the annual “procession with palms” to Memphis City Hall Sunday, April 1, 2012, 9:45 a.m., followed by Palm Sunday celebration at 11 a.m.
- On Thursday, April 5, at 6 p.m. First United Methodist Church and First Presbyterian Church, will continue the season of Lent by worshiping together during “Maundy Thursday” service, as is their tradition for many decades. The neighboring congregations will gather at First Presbyterian Church, 166 Poplar Avenue to share a meal, fellowship, prayers, and music.
- First United Methodist Church Easter Celebration of the Resurrection of Christ is Sunday, April 8 at 11 a.m. Call 527-8362 or visit firstchurchmemphis.org for information.
Holy Week at Faith Anglican Church, 9555 Walnut Grove:
- Sunday, April 1 – Passion Play and Holy Communion. Experience the gospel from Christ’s triumphal entrance to Jerusalem to the crucifixion at the 8:10 a.m. service and the 10:30 a.m. service.
- Maundy Thursday, April 5 – Christ taught the apostles about serving one another and shared the last supper. Service begins at 7 p.m.
- Good Friday, April 6 – Worship and Stations of the Cross. Service begins at 7 p.m.
- Easter, April 8 – Celebrate the joy of the resurrection. Worship and Holy Communion at 8:10 and 10:30 am. For information, call 755-4848 or visit faithanglicanchurch.org
Holy Week at Second Presbyterian Church, 4055 Poplar
- Palm Sunday: April 18:15 a.m. and 11:00 a.m. Worship in the Sanctuary.
- Holy Week Lunches and Services: Monday-Thursday from 11:00 to 11:45 a.m. and 12:30 to 1:15 p.m. in the Fellowship Hall with daily services at noon in the Sanctuary. Tickets are $7 and can be bought at the door or online at 2pc.org/holy-week-lunch-menus/ in advance.
- Maundy Thursday Evening: April 5 Dinner at 5 p.m. in the Fellowship Hall Communion Service, 6:30 p.m. in the Sanctuary.
- Good Friday Service: April 6 at noon in the Sanctuary.
- Easter Egg Hunt: Saturday at April 7 11 a.m. at the Poplar football field.
- Easter Sunday: April 8 6:30 a.m. Sunrise Service at Memphis Botanic Garden, and 8 a.m., 9:30 a.m. and 11 a.m. services in the Sanctuary Visit .2pc.org or call 454-0034 for information.
Holy Week at St. George’s Episcopal Church: 2425 S. Germantown Road in Germantown:
- Liturgy of the Palms and Holy Eucharist at 8 a.m. and 10 a.m. and the Liturgy of the Stations of the Cross at 5:30 p.m. on Palm Sunday, April 1.
- Daily Evening Prayer will continue on Monday through Wednesday at 5 p.m.
- A Children’s Liturgy for Maundy Thursday will be offered at 5 p.m. on Thursday, April 5, followed by an Agape Meal and Liturgy for children and adults at 6 p.m. in the Parish Hall. The traditional Maundy Thursday Liturgy (choral) with the stripping of the altar will be at 7:30 p.m.
- The Good Friday Liturgy will be held at noon and with a choral service at 7:30 p.m.
- The three Easter services begin at 6 a.m. with Sunrise Matins and Exsultet to be celebrated on the Garth beside the Great Oak. A Choral Eucharist (Rite I) will be celebrated at 8 a.m. and a Festival Choral Eucharist (Rite II) featuring brass and the Coventry Choir will be celebrated at 10 a.m. An Easter Brunch and a Children’s Egg Hunt will follow the 10 a.m. liturgy. The parish extends an invitation to visitors to join us for these celebrations.
Holy Week at Church of the Holy Communion, 4645 Walnut Grove Rd.:
- Wednesday, April 4, 6:30 p.m. in the Chapel – “The Women of the Passion: A Journey to the Cross,” a spiritual account of the Stations of the Cross as viewed from the perspective of the women who were there.
- Thursday, April 5, 5:30 p.m. in the Parish Hall – Maundy Thursday dinner with Middle Eastern menu; RSVP by April 3: 767-6987. Dinner will be followed at 6:30 p.m. by Maundy Thursday service and all-night prayer watch.
- Friday, April 6 – Good Friday service at 12:15 p.m.; children’s Stations of the Cross at 5:30 p.m. in the Memorial Garden.
- Saturday, April 7, 6:30 p.m. – The Great Vigil of Easter.
- Sunday, April 8 – Easter Day services at 7:30, 9, 11:15 a.m. and 5:30 p.m.
St. Paul United Methodist Church Easter Services: 2949 Davies Plantation Rd. in Lakeland:
- Chancel Choir will present “The Living Last Supper” on Thursday evening, April 5 at 7 p.m.
- Two Easter services will be held at St. Paul on Sunday, April 8: the Contemporary Services will be held at 9:22 a.m. and the Traditional Service will be held at 11 a.m. Call 387-0007, or visit stpaul-umc.org.
Holy Week observances at Lindenwood Christian Church, 2400 Union Ave.:
- The 42nd annual “Service of the Cross” takes place at 5:30 p.m. on Good Friday, April 6, 2012 in the Sanctuary, and is a free, non-ticketed event. The Chancel Choir and Orchestra will present “Of the Passion,” a collection of music by Fauré, Handel, Dubois, Mozart and Corelli, and seven of Memphis leading clergy will present brief meditations between each movement.
- On Easter Sunday, April 8, the glory of The Resurrection is celebrated in the triumphant music of Easter featuring The Chancel Choir and Orchestra with Dallas Symphony principal trumpeter Ryan Anthony at 11 a.m. The Reverend Dr. Ron M. Buck, Senior Minister, will be preaching.
Holy Week at Emmanuel United Methodist, 2404 Kirby Rd.:
- Maundy Thursday service is at 7 p.m. Thursday, April 5, in the sanctuary.
- Journey to the Cross, a self-paced, interactive worship experience will take place from 6:30 to 8 p.m. Friday, April 6.
- Easter hunt and the Egg-StraVaGanZa will be at 10 a.m. Saturday April 7, with festive activities for the children.
- Easter Services will be at 8:30 a.m. and 11 a.m. on April 8. Visit emmanuelmemphis.org or call 754-6548 for information.
Holy Week services at First Baptist Church, 200 E Parkway N:
- Palm Sunday, April 1 — Worship will include a festive palm processional, led by the FBC children.
- Maundy Thursday, April 5 — Dinner will be served in Fellowship Hall at 5:00, and the Lord’s Supper will be served at a special Celtic Tenebrae service in the Sanctuary at 6 p.m. This beautiful candlelight “service of shadows” includes music by the Chapel Chorale and Celtic instrumentalists playing guitar, flute, violin, hammered dulcimer and bodhran (Celtic drum).
- Good Friday, April 6 — Noonday Service of the Cross, Caudill Chapel. A light lunch will ready so that you can get back to work on time.
- Saturday, April 7 — Families will enjoy a children’s Easter Egg Hunt (preschool through Grade 4), which begins on the lawn in front of the Sanctuary at 10:30 a.m. Beginning at 10:00 a.m., The Great American Bake Sale, sponsored by FBC young adults, will offer homemade goodies, raising money to feed hungry children.
- The Flower Cross, April 7 — At 5:30 p.m. on Saturday, bring the family to help decorate the huge Flower Cross on the front lawn and share a witness by transforming the old rugged cross into a beautiful symbol of resurrection. Enjoy the inspiring story and photos of The Flower Cross at this website: www.thebeautifulcross.com
- Easter Sunrise Service, April 8 — Join First Baptist and other Midtown churches at the Levitt Shell at 6:30 a.m. for a community Easter service. Rev. Ron Buck from Lindenwood will give a brief Easter message and special music will be provided by Greater Lewis Street Missionary Baptist Church choir and FBC’s own Jeno Smith and Kara Kilpatrick.
- Easter Sunday, April 8 — A Morning Worship Service to celebrate the Resurrection will include the ordinance of baptism at 11 a.m. Invite your family and friends.
Holy Week at Christ United Methodist Church: 4488 Poplar Ave.
- Holy Wednesday, April 4 at 5 p.m., Wilson Chapel: A Service of Prayers and Anointing
- Holy Thursday, April 5 at 7 p.m., Sanctuary: A Service of Shadows and Holy Communion The Chancel Choir & String Quartet
- Good Friday, Noon, Wilson Chapel: Blended service guides worshipers through the stations of the cross in remembrance of the crucifixion; Stations of the Cross art exhibit remains open throughout the afternoon.
- Saturday, April 7: Community Easter Egg Hunt East High School, 3206 Poplar Avenue Booths with games and crafts, complimentary Hotdogs and Coke products and four Egg Hunts for 0-24 months, 3-5 Years, K-2 Grades and 3-5 Grades. Sponsored by Christ United Methodist Church, First Baptist Church, Broad, Binghampton Development Corporation & East High Fellowship of Christian Athletes
- Easter Sunday, April 8: Easter Services: 8:30 a.m. — Traditional in the Sanctuary; 9:45 a.m. — Contemporary in Seabrook Hall; 11 a.m. — Traditional in the Sanctuary; 11 a.m. — Blended in the Wilson Chapel
For information, visit cumcmemphis.org or call 901-683-3521.
“Seven Last Words Worship Celebration”: The AME Ministerial Alliance of Memphis and Vicinity presents the “Seven Last Words Worship Celebration” on Good Friday, April 6 at noon at St. John AME Church, 4862 Millbranch in Whitehaven; hear 7 dynamic preachers present Jesus Christ’s last word including great singing and dancing followed by free catfish dinner.
St. John Baptist Church Easter Cantata: St. John Baptist Church, 640 Vance, will hold its 19th annual Easter Cantata “The Last Seven Words of Christ” by Theodore Dubois at 4 p.m. Friday, April 6.
Lee Williams and the Spiritual QC’s in concert: Greater Middle Baptist Church, 4982 Knight Arnold Road, presents Lee Williams and the Spiritual QC’s in concert at 7 p.m. Good Friday, April 6. Special guest performers are the Divine Gospel Force and the Ellis Grove Male Chorus. Ford Nelson of WDIA AM 1070, will be the Master of Ceremony. Tickets are $30 each and are available at the Church Office Monday through Friday from 10 a.m. until 2 p.m. and at all Suits’ U Store locations. For more information, please call 367-0103.